Simon Rimmer’s Cuban Spiced Butternut Squash with Rice
- Spice mix – 2 tsp each of dried oregano, cumin, paprika, soft dark brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and white pepper
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 350g short grain rice
- 350g butternut squash, peeled and sliced
- 125g smoked tofu
- 1 sliced onion
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced
- 4 tomatoes, roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 1 tin mixed beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 litre veg stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 clove of garlic
- First, pre-heat the oven to 180c.
- Peel and slice the carrots and butternut squash then rinse under cold water.
- Before chopping, clean the tomatoes under a cool running tap, wiping away any dirt with your fingers.
- Prepare the spice mix by blending a little oil with 2 tbsp of each of the ingredients - dried oregano, cumin, paprika, soft dark brown sugar, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and white pepper - then mix with the stock.
- Using olive oil, fry the butternut squash and smoked tofu together until golden. Remove the ingredients from the pan and set to one side.
- Next, fry the carrots and onion with one clove of garlic. Remove once soft and mix with the short grain rice, chopped tomatoes, and beans, then season well.
- In a buttered casserole dish, layer half of the rice mix followed by the squash and tofu. Top with the remaining rice then pour over the stock and cover.
- Place this dish in the oven and bake for 45 minutes. Once the rice is cooked, remove the dish from the oven.
- Before serving, sprinkle with the chopped parsley, and for those who enjoy some additional heat, place alongside a condiment dish with chilli sauce.
The Hoover Vogue Collection was designed with one focus in mind – home cooks. This range of innovative appliances enables food to be prepared to a high quality at home, not forgetting its sophisticated design. The advanced cooking technology provides a trusted performance in the kitchen, helping you to cook the way you live.