Simon Rimmer’s Chicken Shawarma
Mastering how to cook a large chicken can seem daunting, but it’s really not. If you have managed to do a small family roast, you’ll sail through cooking a large chicken.
Of course, you can stick to the traditional Sunday roast chicken, but if you would like to try something new why not have a go at Simon Rimmer’s Chicken Shawarma.
For the Chicken…
- 2.5kg (large) chicken
- 3 onions peeled and sliced
- 6 cloves garlic peeled and sliced
- 100g Ras el Hanout paste (or harissa)
- 100ml red wine vinegar
- 50ml port
- 150ml chicken stock
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp sumac
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp sea salt
For the cucumber salad…
- 2 cucumbers, peeled, deseeded, and cut into thick half moons
- 2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tbs sea salt
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
For the sauce…
- 100ml Greek yoghurt
- 100ml tahini
- Half a bulb of garlic, roasted
- Chopped tomatoes
- Pickled chillies
- Shredded lettuce
- Flatbreads (if you can’t find flatbreads you could substitute for naans or tortillas)
- Sumac to serve
- Slice the onion and garlic and place into a large oven proof dish
- Add the red wine vinegar, port and chicken stock
- Sit the chicken on top and rub in the Ras El Hanout paste, coating the chicken
- Mix together the smoked paprika, salt, cinnamon and sumac and sprinkle on top of the coated chicken
- Cover and roast at 160c for 2hours. Take off the cover and roast 20mins more Shred into the juice/sauce (add a little water to the base if it’s drying out)
- Simply mix all the salad ingredients together, except the lemon, and let it stand for 1 hour
- Then add the juice and zest of one lemon
- For the sauce, again just simply mix all the ingredients together
Serve a healthy portion of chicken with all the trimmings and make your own shawarma kebabs. Enjoy!
The Vogue Collection range of appliances has been designed with one focus in mind – home cooks. This range of innovative appliances enables food to be prepared to a high quality at home, not forgetting its sophisticated design. The advanced cooking technology provides a trusted performance in the kitchen, helping you to cook the way you live.
If you’re looking for a playlist to cook along to, Simon has pulled together his favourite mood-boosting tracks, that you can listen to on Spotify by clicking here.