Simon Rimmer ’s microwave mac ’n’ cheese
A warm, indulgent bowl of macaroni and cheese has been a comfort food staple for years. In fact, recipes resembling our modern-day dish are described in cookbooks as far back as the 14th century!
It’s most well-known as a quintessential American diner dish, but with Brits unable to resist its simple, rich temptation it also started appearing on pub menus in the UK much more frequently around a decade ago.
Its simplicity makes it great for home-cooking as well, especially as a quick and easy meal created in the microwave.
Simon Rimmer talks us through his hassle-free version, featuring a generous helping of mozzarella and cheddar cheese…
- 65g macaroni.
- 125ml water.
- 35g grated mozzarella.
- 35g grated cheddar.
- 25ml milk.
- 15g peas.
- Mix the macaroni and water, place in a large mug or a bowl.
- Microwave for 4 minutes – stir 3. Microwave again for 2 minutes - stir.
- Microwave for a further 1 minute - stir.
- The pasta should now be cooked and still have a little water at the bottom.
- Add the cheese, milk and peas, mix well.
- Microwave for a final 45 seconds, and voila your mac ‘n’ cheese is ready!
You could serve up as a main meal with some crusty bread, or as a side dish - delicious either way.
Microwaves are a great addition to the kitchen for when time is short; quick cooking and heating times help to preserve the nutrients in food while providing the ultimate convenience, view our full range here.
If you’re looking for a playlist to cook along to, Simon has pulled together his favourite mood-boosting tracks, that you can listen to on Spotify.