Simon Rimmer’s Chocolate Beetroot Cake
Having a treat now and again is great for our wellbeing! But when choosing what to indulge in, it’s easy to think about how to still maintain a healthy lifestyle for you and the family. So, Simon Rimmer has come up with the perfect answer - why not combine chocolate cake and veggies? This sweet pud also contains beetroot, and the kids won’t even notice.
• 250g butter
• 150g chocolate
• 150g grated cooked beetroot
• 30g cocoa powder
• 125ml milk
• 6 eggs
• 225g sugar
• 75g dark brown sugar
• 150g flour Sauce
• 350g sugar
• 75g dark soft brown sugar
• 100g cocoa powder
• 30g flour
• Tin of evaporated milk
• 250ml water
• 30g butter
• 5g vanilla
1. Preheat the oven to 160c
2. Begin by melting the chocolate and butter over simmering water, then allow to cool slightly.
3. Whisk the eggs and both sugars for a full 10mins (we’d recommend an electric whisk for this).
4. Gently fold in the chocolate mix, beetroot and flour until all the ingredients are combined.
5. Spoon the mixture into a greased, lined 22cm springform tin and bake for 1hour 10 minutes.
6. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely.
1. Add all sauce ingredients into a pan, and slowly bring to boil, whilst mixing well.
2. Simmer for 5 minutes until smooth and heated through.
1. Serve a slice of cake, topped with sauce, a dollop of whipped cream with the addition of strawberries, if you want to add in some fruit.
Don’t have a professional chef at home? You can still achieve restaurant quality food with the Hoover Vogue Collection. Advanced cooking technology offers you the perfect recipe for the best performance in the kitchen, helping you to cook the way you live.